By Daniel C. Snell
Ancient close to East: The Basics surveys the heritage of the traditional heart East from the discovery of writing to Alexander the Great’s conquest. The booklet introduces either the actual and highbrow setting of these instances, the struggles of state-building and empire development, and the dissent from these efforts. themes coated include:
- What can we suggest after we discuss the traditional close to East?
- The upward push and fall of robust states and monarchs
- Daily lifestyles either within the towns and out within the fields
- The legacy of the traditional close to East: faith, technological know-how and writing systems.
Featuring a word list, chronology and recommendations for extra analyzing, this e-book has all of the instruments the reader must comprehend the heritage and examine of the traditional close to East.
Read or Download Ancient Near East: The Basics PDF
Best middle eastern history books
The Turkish Republic was once shaped out of colossal bloodshed and carnage. throughout the decade top as much as the top of the Ottoman Empire and the ascendancy of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, almost each city and village all through Anatolia was once wracked through intercommunal violence. Sorrowful beaches offers a different, on-the-ground historical past of those bloody years of social and political transformation.
This is often the second one up-to-date version of the 1st accomplished historical past of Lebanon within the smooth interval. Written by way of a number one Lebanese student, and in response to formerly inaccessible information, it's a attention-grabbing and beautifully-written account of 1 of the world's such a lot fabled international locations. beginning with the formation of Ottoman Lebanon within the sixteenth century, Traboulsi covers the expansion of Beirut as a capital for alternate and tradition throughout the nineteenth century.
First released in 2000. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Up till the appearance of Nasser and the 1956 battle, a thriving and numerous Jewry lived in Egypt – more often than not within the towns of Alexandria and Cairo, seriously influencing the social and cultural background of the rustic. Histories of the Jews of Egypt argues that this Jewish diaspora could be considered as "an imagined bourgeoisie".
- Marriage in Turkish German Popular Culture: States of Matrimony in the New Millennium
- Empire of Difference: The Ottomans in Comparative Perspective
- A Concise History of the Middle East
- Domesticity and Consumer Culture in Iran: Interior Revolutions of the Modern Era (Iranian Studies)
- Arabkir - Homage to an Armenian Community
- The Women of Cairo: Volume II (Routledge Revivals): Scenes of Life in the Orient: 2
Extra info for Ancient Near East: The Basics
Ancient Near East: The Basics by Daniel C. Snell