By Fawwaz Traboulsi
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Lebanon PDF
Similar middle eastern history books
The Turkish Republic used to be shaped out of tremendous bloodshed and carnage. throughout the decade best as much as the tip of the Ottoman Empire and the ascendancy of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, almost each city and village all through Anatolia was once wracked by means of intercommunal violence. Sorrowful seashores provides a different, on-the-ground historical past of those bloody years of social and political transformation.
This is often the second one up to date version of the 1st complete heritage of Lebanon within the smooth interval. Written via a number one Lebanese pupil, and in response to formerly inaccessible files, it's a interesting and beautifully-written account of 1 of the world's so much fabled international locations. beginning with the formation of Ottoman Lebanon within the sixteenth century, Traboulsi covers the expansion of Beirut as a capital for exchange and tradition in the course of the nineteenth century.
First released in 2000. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Up till the arrival of Nasser and the 1956 conflict, a thriving and various Jewry lived in Egypt – as a rule within the towns of Alexandria and Cairo, seriously influencing the social and cultural background of the rustic. Histories of the Jews of Egypt argues that this Jewish diaspora can be seen as "an imagined bourgeoisie".
- Much Ado about Marduk: Questioning Discourses of Royalty in First Millennium Mesopotamian
Literature (Studies in Ancient Near Eastern Records (SANER))
- Palestinians in Jerusalem and Jaffa, 1948: A Tale of Two Cities (Routledge Studies on the Arab-Israeli Conflict)
- Nationalism and the Politics of Fear in Israel: Race and Identity on the Border with Lebanon (Library of Modern Middle East Studies)
- American Diplomacy and the Israeli War of Independence
- The Communist Movement in the Arab World (Durham Modern Middle East and Islamic World Series)
- Freedom in the Arab World: Concepts and Ideologies in Arabic Thought in the Nineteenth Century
Additional resources for A History of Modern Lebanon
A History of Modern Lebanon by Fawwaz Traboulsi